SNI supports the success of Whole Person Care (WPC) by providing tailored technical assistance to the 25 pilot sites. Activities include webinars and in-person convenings, where pilots share lessons learned and tackle implementation challenges together. SNI partners with the DHCS-led Learning Collaborative and county associations to provide support. This page will serve as a resource for WPC pilots and includes announcements for upcoming events, as well as materials from past events.
In-Person Meeting: The Essential Role of Community Health Workers & Peers (February 13, 2020)
This convening will bring together WPC pilots to share promising practices for strengthening and sustaining the Community Health Worker and Peer (CHW/Peer) workforce. Session topics include hiring and training CHWs/Peers, integrating CHWs/Peers into care teams, organizational practices to support trauma-informed care, and strategies to sustain the CHW/Peer workforce, particularly related to certification. Additional details are available in the agenda; register here!
Space is available for up to 5 participants per pilot – WPC leads, CHW/Peer managers and supervisors, and CHWs/Peers are encouraged to attend. Travel reimbursement will be available for 2 people per pilot. Please return completed expense forms to Abby Gonzalez.
The convening will be co-hosted by the state associations (see below), in partnership with the National Center for Complex Health and Social Needs (an initiative of the Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers), and generously sponsored by the National Center and the California Health Care Foundation.
- California Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems / Safety Net Institute (CAPH/SNI)
- County Health Executives Association of California (CHEAC)
- County Behavioral Health Directors Association of California (CBHDA)
- County Welfare Directors Association of California (CWDA)
- California State Association of Counties (CSAC)
Note that this event is optional and separate from the state-led Learning Collaborative.
Meeting Materials: Slides and Breakout Sessions
Meeting Materials: Resources from WPC Pilots
(click arrow to access drop down menu)
- Health Worker II Job Description (San Francisco)
- Case Management/Assessment Specialist II Job Description (San Mateo)
- Community Worker Interview Questions (Santa Clara)
- Community Worker Job Description (Santa Clara)
- Primary Care Job Posting (Santa Clara)
- Hiring and Training Practices (Riverside)
- CHW Core Competencies (Contra Costa)
- Case Manager Onboarding Checklist (Contra Costa)
- Case Manager Training Passport (Contra Costa)
- New Staff Training Checklist (Contra Costa)
- Peer Navigation Team Assessment Tool (Santa Clara)
- Boundaries Training (Santa Clara)
- Boundaries Educational Printout (Santa Clara)
- Orientation Packet (Santa Clara)
- Hiring and Training Practices (Riverside)
Resources from Past Events
Webinar: Whole Person Care Local Pilot Evaluations
In addition to the statewide WPC evaluation required by CMS, many pilots also conducted local, pilot-led evaluation projects to assess the specific impacts of their programs. In this webinar, 10 WPC pilots shared their methodological approach for the tailored evaluation.
- August 13, 2019 – Whole Person Care Local Evaluation Webinar
- Presentations from the following pilot sites: Sacramento, Alameda, Small County Collaborative, Los Angeles, Marin, San Diego, Solano, Napa, and Orange County.
In-Person Meeting: Whole Person Care Data Sharing Convening (May 22, 2018)
Data sharing across sectors, such as housing, criminal justice, and health care, is crucial to addressing a person’s full spectrum of needs. It is a core element of an effective Whole Person Care (WPC) program, yet many pilots continue to face barriers to sharing information across sectors. On May 22, 2019, CAPH/SNI and its partners brought together over 200 leaders from diverse sectors and across all 25 WPC pilots to discuss legal, technological, and cultural barriers to data sharing. Participants learned operational and technical solutions to data sharing issues and worked through case studies with their teams. The day ended with two WPC pilots, Contra Costa and Placer Counties, discussing how they have leveraged WPC to address historical misunderstandings about data sharing and build a stronger culture of sharing between partners.
This convening was co-hosted by the state associations – CAPH/SNI, the County Health Executives Association of California (CHEAC), the California State Association of Counties (CSAC), and the County Behavioral Health Directors Association of California (CBHDA) — and generously sponsored by the California Health Care Foundation (CHCF).
- SNI Whole Person Care Member Support
- Whole Person Care Makes Progress in Care Coordination (November 2019)
- Whole Person Care in California’s Public Health Care Systems (April 2019)
- Whole Person Care Hits Stride: Q&A with SNI (November 2018)
- Whole Person Care: Going Beyond Medical Services to Help Vulnerable Californians Lead Health Lives (July 2018)
- Whole Person Care Program Update (September 2017) Audio recording or download slides
- Issue Brief on Whole Person Care (July 2016)
- State of California’s Whole Person Care page
CAPH members can access more resources and technical assistance related to Whole Person Care through SNI Link.